Friday, December 30, 2011

Kesri chaval

Like every year end, I am struck how quickly this year also has come to an end! I just said hello to you all and now, now it is time to say bye for this year! 
 Are you all prepared for the new year? What resolutions have you made? I think I have given  up making resolutions, well, at least one, I won't even mention it here, it is no use, I am firmly convinced! The very fact that, 'that' resolution and a food blog do not pair well... I'm sure all you intelligent readers have guessed it! After all, samajhne wale ko ishara kaafi hai! hai na?! ~wink~

This year was a bit slow on the blog front, but at least I managed to get about 2 posts a month on an average...  This year also saw my little one going to school and take his first independent steps outside home, manage on his own for a few hours a day and he did a brilliant job! I am SO proud of my little man! I can say that now, however, earlier in the year when he went to school for the first time and cried, I cried, I sat in my car for 3 hours worrying and biting my nails to bits and gathering my shattered heart and waiting for school day to end so I could scoop up my baby in my arms and hug him tight, real tight! 
I still wait for school to end so I can see him run up to me with a big smile and hug him! the crying has stopped! hehehe! 

The move from IL to TX was strenuous and to own the truth, though I cribbed a lot, and I mean a lot, about Peoria, but after I settled in and found friends, I quiet liked it there. The pace was slow, the traffic was slow (which suited a scaredy-cat driver like me) and I was happy there as well.  
I am now in a big city where the pace suits me fine, eating out is a pleasure but the traffic scares me and all roads look the same! Well, they always have, you know- I am born without 'the sense of direction' gene. Did I tell you all about that, ever? Well, that is one story I shall tell you in the new year! 

2012 will be a new beginning for my little man as he starts a new school/Montessori in Dallas. An education system different from the pre-k he attended in IL. I am looking forward to his progress in this new school !

So here is my sweet offering for ringing out the old and ringing in the new! To newer and sweeter beginnings !




You need:
2/3 cup Basmati Rice
1/2 tsp. Green Cardamom , seeded
1/4 tsp Saffron / Kesar
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/4 cup Water
1/2 cup Almonds, blanched and sliced length wise
2 Tbsp. Pistachios, blanched and sliced lengthwise
4 Tbsp. Ghee /Clarified butter
2 Cloves


Wash and soak rice in plenty of water for 30 mins.


Drain and cook in boiling water till done


Pound cardamom and saffron to a powder ( I used a mortar and pestle)


Mix sugar and water in a pan and cook on low heat to a 2 string consistency


Turn off the heat and add 3/4 of (both) the cut almonds and pistachios


Add powdered cardamom-saffron mix and cooked rice to the sugar syrup


Mix and leave it covered for 2 hours. Stir occasionally


Heat 4 Tbsp ghee for about 30 secs, add cloves 


When they change color, add them to the rice mixture.Stir  gently


Garnish with remaining nuts.


Serve warm or cold



In the New Year, may your hand always be 

stretched out  in friendship, never in want. 

Happy New Year To all readers of A Cook @ Heart! 
Pin It

12 comments:

Julie said...

Lovely colour of rice,yummy!!
Ongoing Event -Christmas Delicacy (15 Nov-31 Dec 2011)
Erivum Puliyum

Linda said...

Hello Manasi :)

It's heartwarming to read your thoughts when sending the little one off to school for the first time -- I remember it well. That feeling doesn't go away -- there will be jr. high and high school and oh, talk about crying when I left my kids at college! ;) But you can take comfort knowing they have been raised with love and will be able to handle all that comes their way :)

This is a lovely dish, completely new to me -- and a gorgeous photo. Thank you for that and Happy New Year to you all! Oh and I did a little translation of your saying -- very astute indeed :)

Chhaya said...

Hi Manasi, lovely recipe...and welcome to Dallas, TX...glad that you are liking it here...i have been here for 8 years now! Hope to see more posts in the new year! Happy New Year!!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Beautiful and so scrumptious looking!

Happy New Year!

Cheers,

Rosa

Cham said...

All moms have the same feeling sending the kid first time at school. I was waiting in my car those first 3 hours anxiously!
Lovely color of rice. Happy New Year to you and your family!

Anu said...

Hi
Wish you a very happy new year...you have an Award waiting on my blog..please accept it.

http://foodyhungama.blogspot.com/2012/01/happy-new-year-and-award.html

Priya Suresh said...

Wat a rich looks super flavourful rice, well done..Happy new year wishes to u and ur family..

Spicy-Aroma said...

rice looks so flavorful..beautifully done..wish u and ur family a very happy new year!! :)

Unknown said...

I love anything sweet even rice. Your clicks are very tempting and you are truly an amazing mom/wife, moving back to back with S in tow requires a lot of work. Congratulations on S starting Montessori, their way of teaching is very unique and am sure he will shine there also.
Many Many good wishes coming your way from NJ.
Love Ash.

Vaishali said...

Manasi, my mom would make this, although I don't think she added pistachios. That would be delicious. You-- and your little one-- have had a busy year. Wish you all the very best for 2012!

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

it is so similar to sweet pongal yet the rice grains look so beautifully seperate... great recipe :)

Rajee Mani said...

Love the gentle yellow color and the simplicity of the dish. Perfect...

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape