Monday, January 01, 2007

JFI:Coconut, contd. : Rice Payasam and Curried Cauliflower

How can I just sit back with my Mom's contribution to JFI???!!! I wanted to get in something of my own too.. just that blogger has been giving unexpected trouble for a day or two now... has anyone else also faced this?
Anyway.... back to JFI... when I first saw the ingredient.. I thought clever choice! The second thought was... M is not going to like this ~giggle~! My husband is 'psychologically allergic' to coconut! And these recipes I had contained Coconut Milk by the tin! Well... trusting the old adage.... Ignorance is bliss... for the time being, atleast, I went ahead with making these. So here is my contribution to JFI.

RICE PAYASAM

Now, for the rice pudding, the recipe source is a bit obscure, I mean I got it from my Mom, who said she had this cutting from some Marathi news paper.. or a magazine? .. something like that she said.. "you have to try this, it is wonderful!", ok, Mother is right!"
This is a hassle free recipe and quick too if u have a can of coconut milk at hand.

What you need is :
4 tbsp Basmati Rice
2 cups Boiled milk ( I took only 1 1/2 cup milk)
1 tin Coconut milk
1 cup Jaggery
2 spoons Ghee
Almonds, Pistachios,Saffron, Cardamom powder to garnish.


Put 2 spoons of ghee in a microwave safe pot heat it for 30 seconds. Add almonds...etc. and heat it again for 1 minute. Wash rice and add 2 cups of water and cook for 5 minutes in the microwave oven(check your microwave power). When the rice is soft add coconut milk and jaggery and cook for 3 minutes. Stir well
and add boiled milk and cook for 4 minutes . When it cools down add cardamom powder and serve.




CURRIED CAULIFLOWER :

The recipe source was the cook book I refered to when I made the Layered Lentil Rice
This was a simple recipe and not too spicy.. plus the cauliflower and coconut milk was adifferent combo I wanted to try!

1 tbsp. Gram Flour (besan)
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. Chilli pwd ( I reduced this, but I shouldn't have [:( ] )
1 tsp. ground cumin pwd.
1 tsp. ground corriander pwd.
1 tsp. mustard pwd.
1 tsp. turmeric
Salt to taste
4 tsp. Oil
6-7 curry leaves
1 cauliflower (broken into florets)
3/4 cup coconut milk
Juice of 2 lemons


Mix the gram flour with a little water to make a paste. Add chilli, corriander, cumin, mustard, turmeric and salt. Add the remaining water and keep mixing to blend all ingredients well.
Heat oil in a frying psn, add curry leaves and cumin seeds, add spice paste and simmer for about 5 mins. . If the sauce is too thick, add a little hot water.
Add the cauliflowerand coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook until cauliflower is tender but crunchy (cook longer if you wish). Add lemon juice, mix and serve hot.




The verdict: Both the dishes passed M's test ! He loved the payasam! In both the dishes coconut milk adds its flavour and the subtle taste blends well with rice as well as the cauliflower. Pin It

5 comments:

ttt said...

Absolutely mouth-watering!
keep up the good job!

Ashwini said...

Ooohh so glad you made your own dish too :-)
Cheers & a very Happy new year

TNL said...

That looks good! Cauliflower with coconut milk and besan is different indeed! Would go well with puris too!

Happy new year, May 2007 bring you lots of luck!

Trupti

Seema Bhat said...

Mansi:
Happy New year to you and loved both the dishes. Payasam looks yummy and couliflower curry look rich and delicous.
Thanx
Seema

Rheaa said...

I love your blog Manasi! those dishes look absolutely lip-smacking!
three things i like to do in life-
EAT!
read!
write!

hahaha.

keep writing and cooking.

-tolerable,tolkien-like teen
RHEAA RAO

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape